Saturday 5 April 2014

sandals

Since I only have a matter of weeks before I move to Madrid, I've had to try really quite hard to hold myself back from all of the gorgeous transitional season knits, and instead focus on the fact that I'm soon going to be sweaty and with a rather minute selection of clothing from which to choose. Luckily, though, high street retailers have started to get excited about the prospect of summer by bombarding us with every style of sandal you can imagine.

I've never been one to get excited about sandals, as I'm more inclined to wear a crappy little flip-flop or a trainer/pump, but that was until now.



Arizona suede sandals: Birkenstock (found here) . Zebra crop top: H&M . Culottes: New Look


There has definitely been a bit of a Birkenstock renaissance this year, with "geeky" footwear and 90s vibes being key to a summer ensemble, so I thought I would see what all the hype was about.

I decided to go for the black option, as the idea of a suede sandal really appealed, and after seeing sooooo many people wearing the white ones, I thought I'd veer slightly from the popular choice, and I love them! They have been taking a bit of getting used to, but now I find them a great fit (I went for narrow width as my feet are strangely slim...) and cannot wait to shoop about in Madrid in them.

I'm not sure how I feel about these culottes; I don't think they're the most flattering shape but they're very light, cool and comfortable, so will be great when I'm feeling the Spanish heat but not wanting to bear all. This sheer zebra print crop is a lovely fit, great value and isn't too sheer either (although I felt like wearing something that would show through, just to be bat shit crazy).





White flatform sandals: Bank . Cat tee: Primark . Pink jeans: Primark


I realise that I potentially slandered white sandals just moments ago, but these Blonde + Blonde sandals from Bank were a bloody bargain, and are a bit different from the Birkenstock vibe.

Unfortunately they're synthetic leather and although the footbed is comfortable, it's not as hard-wearing as the trusty Birkenstock, but the flatform makes them a bit more edgy, potentially more of a transitional day-to-night shoe, and the ankle strap means they're not so sloppy on your feet. They actually feel very light on your feet, too, despite the thick, black sole (which I think is a cool contrast to the shiny white straps).

The cat tee is fairly inexplicable for someone with every animal allergy under the sun, who also falls into the category of your typical "dog person", but it's colourful and cute, and makes me feel young and carefree teamed with my trusty (yet disgustingly tight) pink skinnies.

Hopefully Madrid won't hate me in either animal-inspired outfit, but tough mierda if they do! And on that note...hasta luego.
eleanorrosemary x

2 comments: