Friday 10 January 2014

one shirt, three ways

So for my second outfit post I thought I'd showcase one item in three different outfits as I'm pretty besotted with said item at this moment in time. I have always loved wearing shirts, perhaps for that androgynous-verging-on-masculine edge which I have always loved to channel, or for that vague feeling of appearing somewhat professional. Nevertheless, I find shirts so versatile and classic whichever way they are worn. So when I stumbled across this beautiful, sheer, pink H&M shirt with a gorgeous Peter Pan collar for only £15, I knew I had to have it. I must hasten to add that a combination of my terrible photography and its abundance of creases does not do it justice.



Ever since the purchase, I have been trying it out with everything and wearing it pretty much non-stop. So here are three outfits that I thought were all diverse and rather lovely. Apologies again for poor photography, my feet appear to take minimal preference thanks to smartphone camera.

Outfit #1


Bouclé biker jacket: H&M . Crushed velvet leggings: Charity shop . Heeled sandals: Bertie . Heart-shaped bag: H&M

A new purchase that I'm also currently in love with is this pair of gorgeous, black, crushed velvet leggings from a charity shop in Stone in Staffordshire, where I went to stay with my soon-to-be travelling companion en España, Selena. She was coincidentally my inspiration for this purchase, as she often sports a rather lovely pair of purple crushed velvet leggings that I drooled over during our CELTA classes.

I've never been one to wear leggings as trousers due to being scarred by the sight of women wearing poor quality leggings with undesirable underwear worn underneath, and clearly having no idea that said undies are in plain view for all to see. These leggings however, originally from Tesco (Florence + Fred), seem to be a bit thicker than your average leggings and thanks to the shirt being that bit longer at the back, I can live in fear that people won't be appalled by the sight of my knickers (here's hoping!)...

I thought these two items together could make a pretty going-out ensemble, with some crepe-soled, navy leather Bertie sandals that I picked up in the John Lewis sale over summer for £22 (down from £75!), an (unfortunately last season) H&M bouclé biker jacket, which has been a fantastic addition to my blazer-heavy wardrobe for the last year, and a cute, cerise-coloured heart-shaped bag (worn as a clutch but with a thin, metal strap). Et voilà! I actually cannot wait to find an occasion to wear this outfit, as I've been hard-pressed to have an opportunity to take those Bertie sandals out on the town!



Outfit #2


Midi skirt: G21 at Asda . Cardigan: Topshop . Platform boots: Topshop . 80 Denier black tights: Asda [3 for £5]

From my Staffordshire adventure, I also picked up this sexy, scuba-esque number from Asda (believe it or not!) for £10 and, although it was a bit of a spontaneous, on-a-whim purchase due to the facts that a) I'm always buying skirts upon skirts, b) I rarely actually wear the midi lengthed ones that I do buy, and c) it is made of a very shiny neoprene, I'm absolutely chuffed with it. If I were feeling a little braver, I might have tried tucking the shirt in, but for a more casual, day-to-day look I think it works well being left out, and I prefer it that way. The cosy grey knitted cardigan adds to the laid back feel of the outfit, as well as me feeling less self-conscious about how shiny the skirt actually is (I'm loving it really).

As you may have noticed, my trusty Astrix boots have made a second appearance (re: first OOTD post), as they are so bloody comfortable and maintain the vampish edge provided by the scuba skirt.

This outfit would also be really cute with a pair of flatform/Vans-style trainers, or some dolly shoes, although you may have to wait until the Astrix obsession has subsided for those to get a look in.



Outfit #3


Tartan skirt: Asda . Cropped jumper: Primark . Necklace: A market in Shrewsbury . Blazer coat: Primark . Dr Marten shoes [find online here]

My third outfit may suggest that I spend an inordinate amount of time at Asda, as this gorgeous, wrap-around tartan skirt was another Asda bargain for £12. I'm absolutely chuffed with this skirt, being a massive tartan lover and mini skirt addict. On my quest for the perfect tartan skirt though, the only ones I could find were skater style, or full on kilts with pleats an' all, so to find something distinctly more subtle and a better fit for my pear-shaped hips and bum was a massive plus.

Now I wouldn't have necessarily thought to put a pastel pink top with a navy and green tartan skirt, but actually I think the contrast works really well, and I'm never afraid of putting things together that have the possibility of clashing. Enter the DMs.

Being my most coveted pair of shoes, they are put with everything (except for when I'm sporting the Astrix boots of course...), regardless of what I happen to be wearing. I love the geek chic look that (I like to think) I achieve from wearing them, as well as them being the most comfortable (after a gruelling week or so) and hard-wearing shoe I own. A pair of brogues would work equally well with this outfit too I should think, although I really do recommend a pair of Dr Marten shoes if you don't mind forking out a bit extra for sheer quality and timelessness.

Onto images 2 and 3, you can see that I'm a fan of layering up - something I will truly miss when I'm melting in the Spanish sun. Well, I'll miss it a bit. At first. Anyway, I wanted to show you the versatility of this cropped jumper from Primark, which goes so well with the shirt because the pale blue is flecked with bits of pink and purple to make it a dreamy combination of pastels. I'm also a huge fan of cropped jumpers - and cropped things in general - so will probably be doing a post about those at some point.

Another Primark find that always gets comments is the fairly plain but extremely wearable blazer style coat worn in image 3 which I managed to pick up for £5 last winter. Having quite a black-heavy wardrobe yet a few key navy pieces, I find that I lose the need to conform to rules that darker hues must never be mixed, "especially not navy with black", and I'd like to think that the use of navy and black in this outfit doesn't detract away from the separate items or the entire ensemble itself. Generally speaking, I conform to very few fashion rules, as I'm sure you will see in the future. Nevertheless, I hope you like this outfit because I do.

So here are three possible outfits using this gorgeous shirt! Another idea is combining my first OOTD's leather pinafore dress with today's item of interest...so many options...

And before my pink shirt obsession develops further, hasta pronto.
eleanorrosemary x

No comments:

Post a Comment